Lighten up your favorite Italian meals with chicken instead of beef, pork, or sausage! This Italian Chicken Meatballs recipe uses 95% lean ground chicken in place of fattier meat, but you’d never know the difference – the taste is just that good. Follow this recipe from Better Homes and Gardens to learn how to make the meatballs, which come together in just over 30 minutes.
• Olive oil spray
• 1 pound 95% lean ground chicken
• 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
• ½ cup packed frozen riced cauliflower (3 1/2 ounces)
• ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
• 1 large egg
• 1 tablespoon tomato paste
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• ½ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 teaspoon olive oil
• 3 garlic cloves, crushed with the side of a knife
• 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes with basil
• ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 bay leaf
• Hot cooked spiralized zucchini and/or pasta
1. Adjust an oven rack to the second-highest position and preheat the broiler to high. Line a large baking pan with foil and coat with olive oil cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl combine chicken, Pecorino Romano, cauliflower, parsley, egg, tomato paste, garlic, and 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Mix with wet hands. Gently form into 12 meatballs using a scant 1/4 cup each. Transfer to the baking pan. Broil until tops are golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
3. In a large pot heat 1 teaspoon olive oil over medium. Add the crushed garlic and cook until golden. Carefully add crushed tomatoes, 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt, and the bay leaf. Bring to a boil. Lower heat and simmer, covered, 5 minutes.
4. Gently add meatballs to the pot of sauce. Reduce heat to low and cook, covered, until meatballs are tender and cooked through (165°F), about 10 minutes more. Discard bay leaf. Serve meatballs and sauce over spiralized zucchini and/or pasta. Serves 4.
Mix-up something scrumptious tonight with this special recipe provided to you by Digit 1919 Apartments in Dallas, Texas, and put our updated, fully equipped kitchens to good use!