Social media connects us to people around the world and those within our own neighborhoods. It presents us with a wonderful opportunity to stay in touch with old friends, distant family members, and even those we’ve never met before. But, social media can be fraught with dangers if you don’t use the apps with caution. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so here are seven must-follow rules for staying safe on social media.
1. Use a strong password. Make it long and use a variety of characters. Be sure to differentiate your passwords between accounts.
2. Set up your security answers, and remember not to pick questions that someone could easily guess the answer to.
3. If you have social media apps on your phone, be sure to password protect your device.
4. Don’t accept or follow just anyone. Fake accounts are very common on social media sites, so be wary of anyone you come into contact with who is not a real-world acquaintance.
5. Click links with caution. Keep in mind that social media accounts are regularly hacked, and millions of people are affected every year. If a post seems spammy, it probably is.
6. Be careful about what you share. Don’t reveal sensitive personal information to anyone online, like your home address or banking information. Doing so could result in you having your identity stolen.
7. Take advantage of privacy settings. Customizing your privacy settings to control who sees what can help you avoid trouble with shady social media users.
At Digit 1919 Apartments in Dallas, Texas, we believe it’s important to live life vigorously. In order to do so, you must educate yourself regularly with lifestyle-enhancing tips such as these. With this blog post, we seek to improve your way of life through education that promotes self-care.